Unaccompanied children

When it comes to children travelling alone, the rules vary from airline to airline, and there are no international guidelines for unaccompanied minors.

Make sure that you take the time to look into and understand the policy of your airline regarding unaccompanied minors. Please note that the airlines do not assess whether your child is capable of flying alone – that decision is made exclusively by the parents.

Ordering the unaccompanied minor service

At Copenhagen Airport, there are two companies in charge of the unaccompanied minor service: SGS and Aviator.

The service must be booked together with the flight ticket from the airline of which the child is travelling. If you arrive at the airport without the service pre-booked, you should generally contact the airline’s desk for further assistance.

The following conditions typically apply to the unaccompanied minor service, but may vary from airline to airline:

  • The service ensures that children travelling alone are supervised throughout the whole journey.
  • A ‘Handling Advice’ form must be completed for your child before the trip. The form can be obtained or downloaded from the airline in question.
  • Contact information must be provided for both the person delivering and the person who collects the child.
  • An agent from the handling company looks after the child in the airport so that he/she does not have to go to the gate alone.
  • The cabin crew on the plane is informed that there is an unaccompanied minor onboard. There will be kept an eye on the child to ensure he/she is OK.
  • The person dropping the child off at the airport must remain at the check-in desk until the plane has departed.
  • Photo ID must be shown when collecting the child at the destination before the child is handed over.
  • Please note that a limited number of unaccompanied minors are allowed per flight, so we recommend that you apply for the unaccompanied minor service when booking the flight.

Read SAS rules for unaccompanied minors here.

What rules apply to unaccompanied children and young people?

A minor who travels without a parent or guardian may be denied entry in some countries unless their parents make a statement that the minor may travel alone or in association with a named adult.
For detailed information, please refer to EU's website 'travel documentation for minors'