Starting in July 2019, there will be direct flights twice a week with Wizz Air from Copenhagen Airport to Varna, located on Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast.
“Eastern Europe is an up and coming area for CPH. Lots of tourists from the eastern parts of Europe want to visit Copenhagen, just as many Danes want to visit the countries and regions in the east. Earlier this year, Wizz Air also announced a route to Lviv in western Ukraine, and this new route to Varna emphasises that there is a market for these direct routes to Eastern Europe”, says Peter Krogsgaard, Commercial Vice President at Copenhagen Airports A/S.
Wizz Air intends to use one of its Airbus A320 aircrafts with 180/186 seats and fly twice a week on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
The new route will become Wizz Air’s 7th route at Copenhagen Airport. In addition to Varna, Wizz Air also flies to Skopje, Sofia, Sibiu, Kiev as well as Chiṣinău from Copenhagen, and this coming spring, as mentioned, Lviv will be added to that list.
With Wizz Air’s new route there will be 4 weekly departures to Varna for a brief period over the summer months next year, as Norwegian also has flights to the city during the summer. Wizz Air’s route is a year-round service.
A rich history and a pleasant climate
With its 366,000 inhabitants, Varna is Bulgaria’s third largest city following the capital, Sofia, and Plovdiv. The city is known as Bulgaria's maritime capital and is a historic city dating back to the 6th century B.C. For 3 millennia it has been of great economic and strategic significance for the area.
Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast is a popular tourist destination for many Danes, where the pleasant climate and high temperatures, both in the air and water, makes it an attractive holiday destination.
Facts about the route
- The route is flown by the Hungarian airline Wizz Air (W6) and will be the airline’s 7th route at CPH.
- The first flight will be on 2 July 2019 and subsequent flights will be twice a week on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
- The route is operated with an Airbus A320 aircraft that seats 180/186 passengers.
- Varna is on Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast, approximately 470 km northeast of the capital Sofia.
- Varna Airport (VAR) is the third largest airport in Bulgaria and is located about 10 km from the city centre.