SUMMARY FOR THE FIRST QUARTER OF 2009
The performance of CPH in Q1 2009 was adversely affected by the economic situation. Fewer passengers, higher operating costs due to restructuring and a significant loss on receivables resulted in both lower revenue and earnings. Despite of the difficult times for the aviation industry as a whole, CPH posted a profit before tax of DKK 110.4 million, which, however, represented a significant fall compared with performance in Q1 2008.
In order to be able to maintain a high level of capital expenditure, CPH demonstrated responsibility in Q1 2009 by adjusting costs to the lower level of earnings so as to ensure that the airport will emerge from the current crisis even stronger than before. This meant, among other things, that CPH had to make 74 employees redundant.
The number of passengers dropped by 16.2% whilst revenue dropped by 6.9% to DKK 655.2 million. The opening of a number of new shops and restaurants in the shopping centre in late 2008 limited the fall in revenue.
Operating costs rose by 17.6% partly due to provisions and redundancy payments; and external costs rose as a result of costs for the service scheme for persons with reduced mobility (PRMs) and bad debt provisions.
EBITDA was adversely affected by the fall in passenger numbers, higher external costs due to bad debt provisions and increased staff costs due to restructuring costs.
Profit before tax was down by 52.1% which, in addition to the factors above, was due to higher financial expenses. CPH’s interest expenses increased as a result of a higher debt level, an increase in the average portfolio interest rate and increased costs due to a recently completed refinancing.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FIRST THREE MONTHS OF 2009
• Passenger numbers at Copenhagen Airport decreased by 16.2%. The number of locally departing passengers decreased by 16.2%, and transfer traffic decreased by 16.0%
• Revenue fell by 6.9% to DKK 655.2 million (2008: DKK 703.6 million)
• EBITDA decreased by 28.6% to DKK 266.5 million (2008: DKK 373.0 million). EBITDA amounted to DKK 292.0 million excluding one-off items (2008: DKK 374.9 million)
• EBIT decreased by 41.4% to DKK 161.0 million (2008: DKK 274.7 million). When excluding one-off items, EBIT amounted to DKK 186.5 million (2008: DKK 276.6 million)
• Results of international investments were a gain of DKK 9.1 million, which is an increase of DKK 20.0 million (2008: a loss of DKK 10.9 million)
• Profit before tax decreased to DKK 110.4 million (2008: DKK 230.7 million). Profit before tax amounted to DKK 135.9 million excluding one-off items (2008: DKK 232.6 million). Profit before tax was impacted by an increase in financial expenses due to a higher average level of debt combined with an increase in the average portfolio interest rate and an increase in other financing costs due to the refinancing
• Capital expenditure amounted to DKK 100.3 million in the first three months (2008: DKK 185.3 million). CPH is continuously working to improve services to airlines and passengers and intends to retain a significant investment level despite the economic environment
• CPH adjusted its organisation in Q1 2009 as a result of the falling passenger numbers. This meant that CPH has had to make 74 employees redundant
• In March 2009 CPH obtained credit facilities of DKK 1,625 million and EUR 131 million with a three year maturity. The new facilities equivalent to DKK 2.6 billion were provided by a group of seven banks
As a consequence of the significant drop in passenger numbers during Q1 2009, CPH continuously seeks to adapt the investment level to the current economic environment. However, despite the financial challenges in 2009, CPH has decided to retain the decision to invest a significant amount under a commercially flexible investment plan for the convenience of airlines and passengers.
The total number of passengers is expected to fall in 2009, due to the economic environment and the impact of Sterling’s bankruptcy. On the basis of the negative traffic outlook, profit before tax is expected to be lower than in 2008, when excluding one-off items.